A Morecambe hotel was evacuated this morning after a carbon monoxide leak allegedly caused a number of guests to collapse.
A number of people staying at the Royal Bar & Hotel were taken to the Royal Lancaster Infirmary for treatment. Among these people, some have been released while others are still in treatment. Injuries are not thought to be life threatening.
Kerri Smith, 45, from Manchester who works in Morecambe, said she and her extended family were staying across the Royal Bar & Hotel on Marine Road Central and The Crown further up the same road.
She said she saw two young boys and a young girl in her family collapse and rushed to warn staff on site to take action.
She said: “My children and grandchildren were staying there and I went to take them out and alerted the staff to ring the fire bridge and get people out, as I suspected that it was carbon monoxide because of the way they were falling like dominoes.
“Half of my family are now in Lancaster Hospital on Boxing Day.”
A spokesperson for the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service told LancsLive: ‘We were called to a report of a carbon monoxide leak at a property on Marine Road Central in Morecambe at around 9:39 am.
“We were contacted for the first time by the North West Ambulance Service. The Ambulance Service treated several people at the scene while our crews remained on site for approximately six hours working with Cadent Gas. to secure the property.
“Several people were taken to hospital.
“The investigation has now been forwarded to Lancaster City Council.”
LancsLive was unable to contact anyone at the Royal Bar & Hotel.
LancsLive has contacted Lancashire Police, Lancaster City Council and the North West Ambulance Service for further information.
Download the LancsLive app for free at iPhone here and Android here.
To stay informed, follow LancsLive on Facebook and @LiveLancs on Twitter.
Do you have any news for us? Contact our editorial staff at [email protected].
Get all the latest news, sports and stories sent daily to your inbox with the LancsLive newsletter here.